Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fresh Veggies

This year I decided to experiment with a CSA (community supported agriculture). If you're unfamiliar with the term it is a system where members buy a "share" of a farm. We help pay for their operating costs and in return we get fresh veggies once a week. I split a share with the food editor here at the paper.
I was getting a little bit worried about the price of the endeavor considering that we hadn’t gotten anything yet due to the weather. But, we got our first delivery last night (bok choy, green onions, peas, rhubarb, oregano, lettuce and basil).
I made a stir fry with the onions, bok choy and peas. That first bite of garden fresh produce was enough to make it all worth while. Delish!!! The snap peas reminded me of my mom's summer gardens in AK. She had a ginormous row of peas and all summer we'd just snap a few off the vine for a snack. I can't wait to experiment more with all the interesting veggies we'll get this summer. I also planted a jalapeno plant, some dill and cilantro and a watermelon in the back yard. I'm hoping I don't kill those. Last summer I cooked my basil one too many times.

No comments: